Saturday, February 6, 2010

Crepes and cupcakes for a lunchtime escape


Eating out alone is up there with going to a cinema by yourself on a Saturday night. Or so they say. I tend to disagree, particularly on the subject of eating out and especially if the meal in question is lunch. There is nothing like escaping to a miniscule table in a crowded eatery with a notebook as your sole companion. A solid, tangible, dependable companion! And so supportive when you need to vent, or better, escape the every day with creative musings.

When my beloved Dad passed away, I felt like a little girl lost in a world that no longer made any sense. The world had stopped, yet I had to go to an office and fool myself that this was somehow important and, worse, answer that horrific question "how are you?" Lunch time was my escape from the artificial light; an hour window to see, taste or do whatever I chose, even if that was nothing but sink into a chair in exhaustion. Enter comfort food, tables for one, full notebooks and that lovely universal question asked by Waiters: "how can I help you?" Let me tell you the ways...

Even in happy times, I embrace a little alone time. Thankfully, I work almost on top of some of Melbourne's must-visit laneways that are the perfect lunchtime escape. This week, a ten-dollar note got me a savory lamb fillet crepe with hommus, eggplant, mint and lime from Aix Cafe Creperie Salon in Centre Place and a red velvet mini cupcake from Little Cupcakes in Degraves Street. A mouth-watering piece of France and a perfect, sweet morsel in the space of one lunchtime, now that's what I call happiness. Both shops are tiny so you will need to pray to your god if you enjoy the eat-in experience. With my unashamed love of all things French, I feel a seat in Aix Cafe Creperie is a must if you want to be momentarily transported to another land and time in the space of a lunch break. As for Little Cupcakes, join the queue and be happy to get something before they sell out. These little treasures will brighten any desk.

Aix Cafe Creperie Salon
24 Centre Place, Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 03 9662 2667

Little Cupcakes
Shop 7, Degraves Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
Phone: 03 9077 0413

2 comments:

  1. They were lovely words. I am a huge fan of lunching alone, particularly since having children. It is such a sweet escape, and sometimes I deliberately bring nothing (no book, newspaper etc) so I can really appreciate being in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ms Baklover. Very wise words and I need to learn to enjoy the moment more. Let's see if I can be brave and leave the notebook in my bag!

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...