Sunday, May 23, 2010

Navy natterings

The hunt is over people. O-V-E-R. And my heart is singing like a wee little bird on a fine spring day. Here is the object of my affection:

That's right, I found a navy jacket. As documented here two months ago, I've been hunting around for everrr. Well, since I grew out of my last one anyway. I was looking for: a short style that a cold frog like me could get away with wearing inside (CHECK), a nipped in waist to give me a little shape (CHECK), long sleeves (CHECK), something under $200 (CHECK) and above all, something in NAVY (CHECK).

Now I can really channel Coldplay as I march around the house singing "I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word." Yes, I think I'd fit in nicely here, right between Chris and Guy.


During the search, I noticed more navy cropping up, including a few good styles that I seriously considered. Here's a run down if you're on the hunt. The Country Road double-breasted jacket ($299) below comes in a navy and the material is really nice and looks good quality. I found it gave me no shape though as it didn't taper at the waist. For a person with hips, this can make you feel like one big blob. Not good.

Saba has a nice navy jacket at the moment and the zips on the collar really caught my eye. I can't find a photo of it online but it is current season stock. Again, very nice fabric but at close to $500 it would want to be. Even though it was out of my price range, I tried it on and was almost relieved when it didn't look good. It's another bomber style jacket that has no waist, in fact it almost bubbles out.

At the cheaper end of the market, I came across a navy jacket by Sunny Girl. It may be my expanding frame but I swear cheap clothes are teeny tiny. This style pinched my arms as though I was trying on a child's jacket! No thank you.

In the end, I came across my own navy jacket in a rare trip to Just Jeans on a lunchtime meander. I'd decided to try on some casual jeans and was laden with styles on my way to the change room when my navy-radar zoomed in on it. Needless to say, the jeans were dropped and I didn't let that jacket out of my greedy not-so-little hands.  Co-incidentally, the lovely navy velvet jacket that is hanging in my wardrobe is also from Just Jeans. It must be around 5 years old now and far too small but I can't throw it away because I adore it.

So, one hunt over and now more time on my other current pursuits. These include a white desk, size 11 riding boots and long navy leggings without sporty logos. More often than not, I know what I want and where to find it but it's a matter of funding. Or funding over finding, shall we say?! When items are a little elusive I have to launch a full-scale hunt, as in the case of the leggings, the boots and the desk.  It can be arduous and I can annoy myself and others with such specific criteria but there is thrill in a hunt. Not forgetting how your heart sings as you hunt for, and then find the things you love. Yes, I am thinking of you, glorious navy jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...