Sunday, July 10, 2011

Imitation designer prints complete!


Hallelejah! The six black and white paintings for the living room are finished! I've been imitating designer prints as part of our living room makeover. Two of these were painted years ago from Florence Broadhurst prints and in March I took some advice from Naomi at Live Breathe Decor and started working on four more.

At that point, I was working on another Florence Broadhurst and went through the process of stencilling designs by Kravet and Kelly Wearstler (see that post here). For the final design, I recently chose a Greek key pattern to tie in with the trim on the curtains in this room. After some deliberation, I went with a Jonathan Adler key as it fitted the bill as a bold, graphic print by a renouned designer and it was simple enough to imitate. The full list of the six designs is as follows. Top from left to right: Florence Broadhurst Tropical Floral, Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis, Florence Broadhurst Aubrey. Bottom from left to right: Florence Broadhurst Circles and Squares, Jonathan Adler Greek Key, Kravet Velvet Gate Tuxedo.

No project like this is complete without incident. Of course, my little incident occured on the home straight, just as I was thinking what a great choice the Adler Greek Key was. Compared to the finer, broken lines of Circles and Squares, it was a walk in the park. It was set to be the quickest painting of all and I was starting to smell the finish line. Then, alas! I realised I was painting black where I was meant to leave white. Parts of the key were now in reverse. That teaches me for getting distracted by the beautiful scenery in the TV coverage of the Tour de France (I paint with a small canvas propped on my lap in the living room)! As annoying as this was, I carried on and finished this hodge-podge imitation then started with a fresh canvas. Hours and hours later, I had seven canvases. In the photo below you can see the poor, rejected canvas to the right. 


I'm not planning to let this canvas go to waste even though it won't make it to the wall with the other six. I have got so used to the look of a canvas propped on a lamp table that I'm thinking of putting this one there. 

Once again, I have used our hallway as the backdrop for these photos (wall painting is now complete in there!). Currently only three paintings are hanging and the others are propped on the mantle and lamp tables until the wall painting is complete and new picture hooks are installed. I'm hoping all will be put in place and revealed soon (plaster restoration in progress!).

Linking to:

 UndertheTableandDreaming

6 comments:

  1. Wow Ellise! Some stunning works, your house is really starting to take shape. I really like the artwork and new TV cabinet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellise, these are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. those prints are fabulous! you did a wonderful job! i love, love, love the prints you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful! Black and white prints are my favourite. :)
    Ada

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job. I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now. There is also an awesome giveaway to go with the party, so you should check it out. http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/07/tuesday-confessional-linky-party-and.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these!! You impress me with your cleverness on every single post!

    ReplyDelete

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...